The collection includes Southeast Alaska, the Sitka mission school and students. Locations are, primarily, Juneau and Sitka, views by Moosbauer, Reuben Albertstone, F. Jay Haynes and Y. Eaton of Native Photo. The photographs were taken primarily...
St. Lawrence Island [n.d.] [112 p. est.]
1. A Race by a reindeer and a fish
2. A Blind orphan (told by Kaelak)
3. A Blind orphan or How the white whales were happened by Ozuk, but he died a couple of years ago
4. How the deer men...
[no list, pages not numbered: 40 p. est.]
01. Why the parents want their daughter to stop school
02. Story of Yaktak (Siberian)
03. Story (Siberian) [Ongazek successful hunter and wife whose boy kid cried]
04. Story (Siberian)...
August 13, 1917 [hand-numbers: 111p.]
[list (in different handwriting) of stories-many of which are less than one page long-- found on p. 111 are not very descriptive, so following titles taken from text:]
01. Tattooing of a...
[n.d.] The book of Iumek (Old Time) Oct. 15—1917 [30p. est.]
2. Human man changes into stone
3. Beliefs on the images
4. Our songs
5. The sorcerers of the stone age
6. Why the people would not use another’s...
[hand-numbered: 111p.] [list in back pages is as follows:]
1. Bad man
2. Man and woman seperated
3. How a man can lend his wife
4. Songs of idol
5. One kind of woman worship
6. Trading with the Siberian...
[list of stories in back of book - hand-numbered: 109 p.]
1. Em mim kon
2. Ivango’s lost sister
3. Sovek a chief and Se ra nak an orphan
4. Four lost brothers or a big drum
5. Running stick
6. The swan and an...
Slavery was an accepted custom in many Native tribes. On May 8, 1886, District Judge Layfayette Dawson in Sitka decided that the Thirteenth Amendment and the 1866 Civil Rights Act abolishing slavery applied to the "uncivilized tribes" of Alaska. ...
Summary: Many of the photos were taken by Baldwin while he worked as a surveyor for the U.S. government on the Alaska-Canada boundary survey from Demarcation Bay on the Arctic Ocean to Mount St. Elias from 1907 to 1913. Also included are images of...
The collection includes images of a 2,500 mile inspection trip to northern and interior Alaska which Governor Parks, Malcolm Elliott (President of the Alaska Road Commission) and R.J. Sommers (Territorial highway engineer) took in 1928.
Title and description taken from verso. These people were all participants in a large potlatch that was held in Sitka in December of 1904. They are wearing a variety of ceremonial clothing for the occasion, including: hats trimmed with beads,...