This collection consists of twenty 35 mm color slides of pipeline construction, possibly out of the 5 Mile Camp. The images were taken in the summer of 1977 by Bill Lathan, a surveyor for Arctic Surveying. Images include views of the compressor...
The photographs primarily relate to Valdez and the Copper River country during the period 1899-1905. Included are photographs of towns, buildings, camps, social events, mining, packing supplies and equipment, people, and scenery. Some photographs...
(4:08 min.) (17 of 28) 17. Virginia comes to Alaska
Virginia was given the chance to come to Alaska as a flight instructor; if she didn't like it she was told she could fly home for free. She only instructed for one summer. She came up,...
(4:38 min) (06 of 17) Flying history, quit commercial flying 1960 quit flying so he could spend summers furthering education. Sam White gave advice, Harold Gillam, Wien's, the real bush pilots or first wave of air pioneers. More instrument...
1-14 Accordion style color postcard images with hand-written notes, Voyage between Seattle and Seward.
1. Spencer Glacier Near Seward.
2. Anchorage 3. Curry Hotel. Hand-written note: “Gov’t owned & stop at Kite as trains have no...
1. [1 leaf:] “This is the use the following curios were put to”: 1.) the masks...2.) the small idols... 3.) the idol which part fish and part human 2. [set of writings held together with pin, 8 pages, double-sided; each section varies in...
17.3 cm long (boot is 5.2 cm tall from top to heel). Boot is made of moosehide stuffed with white felt and trimmed with white beads. Red floral design on calf of boot and starburst design on toe-box; flower and starburs have yellow bead centers...
84 cm long x 17.7 cm wide; made of braided sinew and braided root; side stakes of birch or willow twigs; five floats of a very light wood attached to top of net; sinkers of pieces of antler and stone; twig used for stake; two rock sinkers have...
[hand-numbered: 111p.] [list in back pages is as follows:]
1. Bad man
2. Man and woman seperated
3. How a man can lend his wife
4. Songs of idol
5. One kind of woman worship
6. Trading with the Siberian man
9. The making of...
[list of stories in back of book - hand-numbered: 109 p.]
1. Em mim kon
2. Ivango’s lost sister
3. Sovek a chief and Se ra nak an orphan
4. Four lost brothers or a big drum
5. Running stick
6. The swan and an...
[n.d.] The book of Iumek (Old Time) Oct. 15—1917 [30p. est.]
2. Human man changes into stone
3. Beliefs on the images
4. Our songs
5. The sorcerers of the stone age
6. Why the people would not use another’s boat in whaling
[no list, pages not numbered: 40 p. est.]
01. Why the parents want their daughter to stop school
02. Story of Yaktak (Siberian)
03. Story (Siberian) [Ongazek successful hunter and wife whose boy kid cried]
04. Story (Siberian)...
Ahgupuk, George Aden (artist). Size: 17.5 x 35 in. Medium: Pen and ink on hide Signed and dated lower right. Signature reads "George Aden Ahgupuk, Shishmaref, Alaska, 1936" Artist Info: Born 1911, Died 4/1/2001
August 13, 1917 [hand-numbers: 111p.]
[list (in different handwriting) of stories-many of which are less than one page long-- found on p. 111 are not very descriptive, so following titles taken from text:]
01. Tattooing of a...
Charles (artist). The window is made of 7 strips of seal gut, sewn with thread on a machine; 44.5 x 50.8 cm (17.5 in. high x 20 in. long). The center design in black paint is of a man with upraised arms spearing a winged fish.